fredag 19. august 2011

The Gnome

This is one of the last tracks on the album "The piper at the gates of dawn". It's written and sung by Syd Barrett. The song is of course about a Gnome. It's funny how he made all this cosy and 'feel-happy-songs'. You actually don't need to listen to the lyrics, but listen to the melody.
But anyways, the lyrics are quite cosy as well!!

A gnome


I want to tell you a story
About a little man
If I can.
A gnome named Grimble Grumble.
And little gnomes stay in their homes.
Eating, sleeping, drinking their wine.
He wore a scarlet tunic,
A blue green hood,
It looked quite good.
He had a big adventure
Amidst the grass
Fresh air at last.
Wining, dining, biding his time.
And then one day - hooray!
Another way for gnomes to say
Hoooooooooray.
Look at the sky, look at the river
Isn't it good?
Look at the sky, look at the river
Isn't it good?
Winding, finding places to go.
And then one day - hooray!
Another way for gnomes to say
Hoooooooooray.
Hooooooooooooooray.

First time I listend to this song, I think I was sitting and smiling for myself for a very long time. The song just made me happy. But then again, what Pink Floyd song doesen't make me happy?! Well, there is some songs that don't make me directly happy, but they sure do make me feel something.


The song was made in the mid sixties, and it marked the beginning of the psychedelic era! And Syd was a king. There were so many people who liked the music, but I might think that they were listening to it, becase it was populare! But at least there must have been a few really big fans. I really do hope so ;)

I wanted to show you all the song on youtube to put a clip here, but I couldn't find ONE original version, just covers.. Well, I've got a better idea! Run and buy the cd for you're Pink Floyd collection.
The back of the cd

Listen to this wondeful fairytale, and have a lovely day!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar